“The beauty of anti-racism is that you don’t have to pretend to be free of racism to be anti-racist. Anti-racism is the commitment to fight racism wherever you find it, including in yourself. And it’s the only way forward.”
We are a fashion company. I believe that what we do and make brings joy to people and I consider that to be a noble endeavor. But we do not live in a bubble, we are part of a community. I’ve always been intent on Clare V. being a good partner in our communities, which to me, among other things, has meant giving back to causes that are important in the lives of women. We have partnered with , , and – all of these organizations are trying to affect change for good in underserved communities.
It is difficult to process the recent events in our world: the COVID pandemic, racial injustice and protests, both peaceful and violent, all of which have affected both me personally and the business that I founded and love. The country has experienced a major shift and as the leader of this company, made up of talented, socially conscious individuals, I will do my best to guide us to a place where we are not impartial to the suffering of others.
After the wake up call we all received over the last few weeks in the form of protests surrounding the death of George Floyd (and too many others), I now know that working for the greater good of issues relating to women is not enough. We must intentionally and actively work toward the end of racial injustice. I will be vigilant and as a company, Clare V. will be present, we will listen, and will work against it.
At Clare V. we are implementing changes to show our solidarity and support for the fight against racial injustice.
- We are committing to hiring BIPOC across the company as well as bringing third party products from BIPOC founded brands into our retail stores.
- We have set a target of using BIPOC models in at least 25% of the images we use in our campaigns, on our website, and on social media.
- We are scheduling mandatory racial sensitivity and bias training for all employees company-wide.
- We will seek to host events on racial justice topics and will be encouraging community service participation among our team, including mentorship of BIPOC business owners.
- We have committed to a financial donation to and will soon be launching a capsule collection of products, from which we will be donating 10% of net proceeds to the organization.
- We are committed to collaborating with BIPOC founded brands and are also evaluating existing partnerships to ensure that those partners’ values align with Clare V.’s.
At Clare V. headquarters, we have a poster that reads Note To Self: Be Kind, Be Kind; Be Kind. I bought it because I have always felt that kindness and respect are related, and I wanted to create a company where those two principles are paramount. But, we’re not in a bubble and as community members, kindness and respect must be matched by justice and equity for all members. As a company, we’re committed to ensuring that our policies and actions value the lives of all those in our extended communities.
And we believe with all our hearts and minds that Black Lives Matter.
This fight is ever-changing. We will be updating the space below every few weeks, adding new organizations in need of funding & donations, and sharing other resources on how to stay informed. Join us as we learn more about how we can support this movement as it continues to strengthen.