The Director of Retail is responsible for the overall success of all Retail stores. The Director is responsible for developing and maintaining standards – including all practices and procedures within retail stores, maximizing margin potential, training and development of all retail staff, and maintaining the highest level of customer service. The Director oversees the development of new stores from conception to build out to staffing and the maintenance of the store throughout its lifespan.
Specific Duties / Responsibiliteies:
New Store Development:
- Oversee the conception, lease negotiations, store design, outfitting and execution of new retail stores
- Seek and develop strategies for future retail expansion
- Oversee obtaining construction bids
- Project manage new store build outs, contractors, landlords and realtors
- Create and maintain new store build out budgets
- Participate in vendor selection for real estate, architectural design, interiors, construction, etc.
- Hire, train and develop in store management team and sales team to achieve financial goals.
- Order all new store supplies and oversee the move-in, setup, and opening of new locations
- Develop operations manual for store employees.
- Maintain POS system for retail, contractually & operationally
- Help solve problems that affect the store's customer service, efficiency, and productivity
- Evaluate and monitor processes and procedures to continuously find ways to increase profitability, exceed productivity, maximize resources, promote sales and maintain best in store customer experience.
- Analyze previous seasons sales and create action plan to build upon in the current season
- Monitor slow sellers and communicate with planning to take action to reduce prices or set promotions as necessary to move
- Manage and coordinate inventories and cycle counts in retail stores through stale/aged inventory
- Ensure that the product and displays in the retail stores provides inspiration for customers and retail team and the selected ranges support the Company brand essence as well that the product is in line with consumer trneds and in line with sales and margins targets per store area.
- Maintain an awareness and communication of all special project, event and social media efforts to retail managers
- Develop forward promotional strategies for retail stores, ensuring that all events are properly planned and analyzed
- Actively manage, plan and communicate retail store events and marketing efforts.
- Manage department staffing costs in line with budgets
- Maintain the retail stores budgets (payroll, events, maintenance, travel) and report cross functionally as appropriate
- Maintain collateral materials within retail
- Observe successes and failures at retail for the line and relay it back to the design team
- Collaborate with planning, buying, and finance teams to create annual and monthly sales targets for the retail stores, store allocation, product flow, and inventory management.
Team Staffing and Management:
- Manage all aspects of staffing, merchandising, personnel, and operations including IT, construction, and facilities.
- Maintain an environment within stores that is consistent with brand values.
- Develop teams through coaching, training and active staff management.
- Source product information and train staff on all product knowledge and create materials to educate the sales staff.
Qualifications / Skills:
- Bachelor's degree
- 5+ years Retail Management and Operations experience, ideally with luxury brands and a similar aesthetic and brand feel
- Extremely comfortable in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, and experience with budgets and project management
- Strong strategic ability to manage brand vision
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, often-changing environment
- The ability to communicate confidently at all levels and across many functions internally and externally
- Experience and knowledge of leading a team, including the natural ability to motivate, coach & mentor staff to maximize results
- Problem solving, analyzing and presenting data
- Understanding of business operations and systems
- Devise and deliver strategies to maximize business potential
- Maintain, control and deliver results within budget
- Proactive, self-motivated and career focused
- Makes good decisions based upon analysis, experience and judgment
- Excellent attention to detail
- Drive self and others to achieve goals even in difficult situations
- Able to take decisive action based on professional, practical analysis of situations
- Builds positive customer relationships and puts their needs first
- Responds positively to change and drives change through others.
- Creative in approach 'thinks outside the box'
All qualified applicants should submit their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org